Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Central America Genealogy

I was sifting through my posts today and realized that I really haven't posted anything specific to Central America. Understanding that I won't be able to include all resources for all countries in one post I thought I would start small and add new information over time.

Guatemala

A fairly new website is available for those of you with ancestros from the Zacapa region. The site can be found at: http://www.ancestroszacapanecos.com/index.html. The site claims to have a 95, 000 name database that they will search for you, however, they want to add to it so they are asking for an interchange of information. For more details check out the Objetivo page on the site. This brings up the topic of family reconstitution/One-place studies or prosopography, but we'll leave that for another day.

Nicaragua

Some of you may be aware, but for those of you that aren't the latest upcoming FamilySearch Indexing project for Hispanic countries is Managua civil registration records. This is exciting for those with Nicaraguan ancestry, because until recently there hasn't been many records available to use. Now in time (hopefully everyone will help no matter where their ancestry is from in Latin America) Nicaragua will have a nice collection indexed online.

As I mentioned above...this is only the beginning of hopefully many posts on Central America. There are many resource out there...stay tuned, I'll write about more shortly.

No comments: